Topic 1(Unit 1 Book4)
Is it important to have a sense of humor? How to develop it?
Having a sense of humor is one of the greatest assets a person can have. Not only will you be prone to spontaneous laughter and mirth, it will help lower your stress levels, interact more easily with others, and even diffuse difficult situations.
First of all, find your funny bone. Not all kinds of humor appeals to everybody, and some humor simply cannot be brought into everyday life. You can watch some funny movies. It might broaden your sense of humor, or help you define for yourself what you think is funny—or not.
In addition, you should stay above the fray. To develop a sense of humor about things, try and stay objective.
Moreover, you need to Know the difference between being funny and having a sense of humor. Trying to be funny without a sense of humor is usually seen as bitter, sarcastic, and nasty. To cultivate a sense of humor, try and avoid this.
Topic 11 Styles of Living Do you enjoy living together with your parents when you’ve grown up? Please state your
I prefer to live separately when I have grown up, I don’t want to be overprotected by
my parents but long for chance to face the society by myself .As to me , I like an independent life style in spite of the fact I love my parents. Different generations have different life styles and values. In addition, by leading an independent life , I can train my character and develop my own ability to deal with things encountered in my life.Meanwhile, everyone needs his or her private space and time to relax and reflesh himself or herself. So the adequate distance from our parents may be better.
Topic 12 作文题目:Water Shortage
What’s your opinion on water shortage? What measures should be taken to solve the problem?
No one can have failed to notice the fact that water shortage is a grave problem with
which the whole world is confronted. Actually, it has become so widespread that it has severely affected people’s daily life and hindered the development of the global economy.
A number of factors could account for the problem. First, with the development of agriculture and industry, the ever-increasing population ,an increasing amount of water is needed. Secondly, the global tendency of warming up also contributes to the problem. besides,
pollution and waste of fresh water aggravate the situation.
In view of the seriousness of the problem, effective measures must be taken before
things get worse. First, it is essential that laws and regulations be worked out and enforced to protect water resources. Secondly, people should enhance their awareness of saving water. With these measures taken, it is reasonable for us to expect a brighter future.
Topic 13 作文题目:College Graduates Work as Village Officials
Do you think it’s a good idea for college graduates to work as village officials? Please give your reasons.
I believe that it is a wise choice for college graduates to work as village officials
On the one hand, college graduates can contribute a lot to the development of the countryside. First, they can apply their professional knowledge there. Secondly, they can introduce new concepts to the countryside and speed the development of rural culture. As a result, the gap between the city and the countryside can well be bridged.
On the other hand, these graduates can benefit a lot from working as village officials. While too many college graduates are fighting for the handful of positions in big cities, these graduates can find themselves a wider stage of development and realize their value.
Therefore, college graduates working as village officials is a win-win choice and more graduates should be encouraged to work in the countryside.
Topic : foods and drinks
1. Can you cook ? If yes, what’ s your special dish( 拿手菜 ) ?
2. Do you eat meat often ? What is your favorite meat ?
3. What about vegetables ? What vegetables do you like to eat ?
4. When you have a guest who comes to visit you, will you cook for him/ her at home or invite him/ her to eat in a restaurant? Why ?
5. Sometimes when we have a meal with someone to whom you are not very familiar , will you pay the meal for you two? If you just want to pay your own dishes, what will you do or say ?
6. Have you ever seen a vegetarian around you ? Do you think eating vegetables only is good to health ?
7. If you happen to know one of your friends is a vegetarian, what do you think you need to keep in mind while eating together?
8. Nowadays drinking coffee seems to be a fashion among those white-collars. Do you go to a coffee bar a lot ? Why the youth like to go to coffee bars ?
9. There is a saying “ An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Did you hear of it before? What is your understanding to it ? 10. All of us have experiences of eating in KFC or Mcdonald’ s. Why are these foreign fast food restaurants so popular in China ?
11. Where are you from ? Which dish is the most popular in your hometown ?
12. Do you buy takeout(外卖 ) sometimes ? Are you satisfied with those take-out food sent to you ?
Useful words : pepper 青椒 eggplant 茄子 carrot 胡萝卜 onion 洋葱 celery 芹菜 potato 土豆 tomato 番茄 mushroom 蘑菇 beef 牛肉 fish 鱼肉 chicken 鸡肉 mutton 羊肉 pork 猪肉
fried chicken 炸鸡 roast duck 烤鸭 Starbucks 星巴克 KFC=kentucky Fried Chicken hamburger 汉堡 hot dog 热狗 hot pot 火锅
spicy 辛辣的;味道重的 hot 热的,辣的 lite 清淡的 bitter 苦的 sweet 甜的 sour 酸的
Oral English :Topic 1 Family
1. Where is your birthplace?
2. Where is your native place?
3. What is your nationality?
4. What is your nation?
5. How large is your family?
6. Do you spend much time talking with your family?
7. How do you get along with your siblings?
III. Topic discussion ( Choose some questions below according to the levels of the students)
1. In your opinion, what causes the generation gap? And how to bridge generation gap?
2. What do you think of Childless family?
3. Do you live in a extended family or a nuclear family ? How is it?
4. Do you think juniors should be obedient to seniors?
5. Have you ever been homesick? Share your experience.
6. What are the advantages and disadvantages or a bi-cultural family?
7. How often do you get together with your family? How do you feel?
8. Do you think the olds should help to look after their grandchildren?
9. When you grow up , how do you like your family to be ? How many children do you want to have and who is going to look after them?
Oral English :Topic 2 Friends
II. Topic discussion
1. Talk about an important friend to you .
2. Do you think we should learn to socialize with different types of people
3. Making friends with those who are different or who are similar. What do you think and how do you feel.
4. What would you prefer, having many friends or just a few close friends? Why?(Advantages and disadvantages)
5. What qualities should your friends have?
6. Do you think friendship will fade as time goes by.
7. What are the differences between friends and family?
8. How do you classify your friends.
9. What do you think of the following sayings?
1) A friend in need is a friend indeed.
2) A friend without faults will never be found.
3) Everything is good when new, but friends when old.
4) He is a good friend that speaks well of us behind our backs.
Talks about family. 谈论家人：用英语跟朋友谈论自己的家人及家人是做什么的。A. How many people are there
Talks about family. 谈论家人：用英语跟朋友谈论自己的家人及家人是做什么的。
A. How many people are there in your family, Susan?
B. Four, my father, my mother, my brother and I. We are getting on very well.
A. What do your parents do?
B. My father is professor, he is strict with us. My mother works in a hotel, and she loves us a lot. 我爸爸是教授，他对我们可严了，我妈妈在酒店工作，她很爱我们。
A. How old is your brother?
B. He is twenty five, three years older than I am. He is a soldier.
A. Do you have any grandparents? 你有爷爷奶奶吗？ B. My grandpa on my father side is still living. But he doesn’t live with us. 我爷爷还健在，但不跟我们住一起。 情景会话素材：谈论工作
来源：about 划词：关闭划词 收藏
Jack: Hi Peter. Can you tell me a little bit about your current job?
杰克：嗨，皮特，你能跟我说说你现在的工作吗？ Peter: Certainly What would you like to know?
Jack: First of all, what do you work as?
Peter: I work as a computer technician at Schuller's and Co.
Jack: What do your responsibilities include?
Peter: I'm responsible for systems administration and in-house programming.
Jack: What sort of problems do you deal with on a day-to-do basis?
Peter: Oh, there are always lots of small system glitches. I also provide information on a need-to-know basis for employees.
Jack: What else does your job involve?
Peter: Well, as I said, for part of my job I have to develop in-house programs for special company tasks.
Jack: Do you have to produce any reports?
Peter: No, I just have to make sure that everything is in good working order. Jack: Do you ever attend meetings?
Peter: Yes, I attend organizational meetings at the end of the month.
Jack: Thanks for all the information, Peter. It sounds like you have an interesting job.
Peter: Yes, it's very interesting, but stressful, too!
how do you feel the weather here?
and so on
What’s the weather like today? 今天天气怎么样？
What’s the weather going to be like at the weekend?
It’s fine / cloudy / rainy today. 今天天气不错/多云/有雨。
It’s getting cold / warm in two days. 两天后要变冷/ 暖和。
It’s rather warm / cold / hot today, isn’t it?
It’s a beautiful day today. 今天天气很好。
— Beautiful day, isn’t it? 天气不错，不是吗？
— Yes, it is. 是的。
Hopefully tomorrow will turn out fine. 希望明天是个好天气。
— It’s a beautiful day today.
— My goodness. It’s only May.
A. And the temperature is not high.
B. The weather forecast says it’s fine and going to be 26 degrees.
C. It’s rather warm today, isn’t it?
D. Is that true?
1. — I wonder what the weather will be like tomorrow.
A. I don’t like the weather at this time of the year.
B. I don’t mind if it is going to rain tomorrow.
C. Didn’t you read the newspaper yourself?
D. Let’s listen to the weather report on the radio.
2. — ______
— The high is twenty-four degrees centigrade and the low is eighteen degrees centigrade today.
A. What’s the usual temperature? B. How high is the temperature?
C. How is the weather today? D. How low is the temperature?